Thursday, November 3, 2011

Mascara - Can't live without it!

On the list of things I use everyday, mascara is one I can't live without.  I rarely go a day without putting some on.....even if I put no other makeup on......I still put on mascara.

It has been a challenge to find a non-toxic version of my favorite mascara.  My original favorite was the 2000 Calorie Mascara by MaxFactor - but that was recently phased out.  They don't make it anymore .....

It took me a while to find a replacement.  I finally settled for The Colossal (CoverGirl or Maybelline, I think)  It comes in a yellow tube with fushia writing on it.  And sadly, yes this mascara is loaded with toxic gunk too.  :(  But its about the closest I have been able to find to the 2000 Calorie mascara.

So, I checked out the list of mascaras on the Cosmetics Database - the ones with the lowest toxic scores also have poor comments that basically say they SUCK!  Am I doomed to toxic eyelashes?!?

I ordered and tried one of these mascaras called Coastal Classic Creations Whispering Seas mascara in Black.  Its ok, but its too feathery looking - I want some OOMPH added to my lashes.  Otherwise, why bother?

This morning I had a revelation - I took the brush that came with my Colossal mascara (the toxic one) and used it with my Coastal Classics mascara (after I rinsed all the toxic mascara off of course).  You know, the brush made a pretty big difference!  I was really shocked!  So just had to share this with all of you.  Now I wish I had saved some of the brushes that came with my 2000 Calorie mascara but those have been long since thrown away.  *despair*  Oh well, live and learn, eh?

So there is still hope for great non-toxic lashes after all!  Yay!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment