Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Natural Deodorant Update

Back in November last year, I made the switch to homemade deodorant.  Its worked pretty well for me.  There was an adjustment period that I went through since it is deodorant and not anti-perspirant.....It took a while to get used to having wet armpits now and then.  And if I would have a particularly stressful day, I would begin to get a little "stinky" about the time I was on my way home from work, ugh.

Surprisingly, its only been 11 months since I started using homemade deodorant and I've only had to make 2 batches of the stuff - it really lasts a long time!

My husband tried it a few times, but it didn't seem to be strong enough for him - he was stinky by afternoon.  I did play with the ratios of the ingredients on the second batch thinking I could make it more potent, but it didn't seem to work as well.  I cut back on the amount of coconut oil in it too, but I don't think that helped much either.

A few months back i found a website, Bubble & Bee Organics, that makes a non-toxic deodorant.  Looking at the ingredients list, its almost the same.  I had purchased a stick of it for my husband to try, since I was having trouble concocting a homemade deodorant that would work for him.


He tried it, but wasn't impressed.  So, it sat on his dresser for a few more months.  

And a week ago, I saw it and got curious (nevermind, that I was getting low on my homemade deodorant and was brainstorming new ratios to try on the next batch)

So I used it.  It had a very bright lemony smell, which I didn't mind.  

It worked pretty good!  Actually, it worked better than my version!  Ha!

I think I'm over trying to figure out the correct ratios - Bubble and Bee apparently have it right.  I've been converted.  I've been using this ever since.

UPDATE (5/10/2013) - Still using this wonderful Super Pit Putty from Bubble & Bee Organics.  I recently discovered that after applying the deodorant to my underarms, if I would rub the product into the skin and make sure it got smeared all over my armpit equally that completely stopped my random "stinky" moments.  Since making the switch to natural deodorant, I find that I don't sweat nearly as much as I used to when I first started (unless I just went for a 5 mile run, obviously) if I even sweat at all.  My hubby is still using conventional deodorant, but I have just found a new concoction to try on him.  Its a mixture of grain alcohol and Tea Tree Essential Oils sprayed on your pits.  It came recommended by another guy.  Stay tuned for the results!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment