Friday, September 23, 2011

Where it all started...

I guess this all got started with a few random comments and conversations with friends a few years ago.  And some of those comments were "Do you really know what is in the food you eat?" or "What is in that lotion that you use on your body everyday?".  Frankly, I never gave these things a second thought - UNTIL I was pregnant with my first child.  There's something about being pregnant that changes your perspective on life - especially as you get closer to delivering.  Maybe its all those hormones!  Ha!

Well after that baby arrived - I began doing a little research, kinda for fun, kinda out of curiosity to see if I really could find some answers to these questions that have been looming and growing in the back of my mind, kind of like little pearls in an oyster.  I came across the Environmental Working Group's website for their cosmetic database and typed in a few of my lotions and wasn't really happy with what I read about the ingredients in those products.  And so my "quest" so to speak to live healthier had begun.  I've been slowly using up all my current toiletries and related items and replacing them with products that are made from more natural and organic ingredients.  It has definitely made me feel better about myself and my body.  But I really went an extra step with our baby, by trying to use organic products, food, etc on her as much as I can.

In this transition, I thought it would be hard, but really it has simplified my life somewhat - I don't use but a few products on my face and body anymore and I find that my skin is clearer and I feel just as good about using them as I did using the old favorites.  (Because yes, there is something therapeutic about lathering up with a fabulous scented soap in the shower - Its one of my guilty pleasures) :)

And so my monologue begins......

No comments:

Post a Comment