Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Down the "Organic" Trail....

So, as I bumble along the trail on the "quest" to consume more organics in our family's diet, I found a CSA in our area!  This is very exciting!  I have read alot about CSAs on a few message boards for organic living as well as other health-related articles here and there.  CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.

One the hardest things about going organic is finding organic groceries.  Because currently every grocery store in my area may have a few organic items, but not all.  So this is what happens in my reality :  to find all ingredients for an organic dinner, I have to stop at one store to get the organic meat, another store for the veggies, another store for the onion that the other store didnt have, etc.  What ends up happening is I run all over the city buying an item here or there and probably waste a TON of gas AND give myself a headache for all the frustration.  Enter the CSA.  CSA's promise to help with this by pulling produce and products from local farms in the area and procuring and sorting and delivering to your door in one shot.  Sounds great.  Its just a little pricey.  But then again - If I counted up all the gas and the time I wasted running all around town to find these items - maybe the price isn't so bad after all.

So a few weeks ago i tried the CSA and signed up to receive a local box.  Not bad.  I just expected the box to be full to the brim, I guess and there was only enough in the box to cover the bottom of the bin.  :(
See my picture of the local box below:

So I was a little depressed by that.  But I may still give it another go.  Its a great concept, really.  And if you can use all the items in the box, how can you go wrong?  Will keep you posted on my next Greenling delivery....  :)

*If you would like to give Greenling a try - you can find the link to their site in my list of Noted Websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment