Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To Stink or Not to Stink...That is the question....

Wikipedia defines Deodorant and Anti-Perspirants as the following:

Deodorants are substances applied to the body to affect body odor caused by bacterial growth and the smell associated with bacterial breakdown of perspiration in armpits, feet and other areas of the body. A subgroup of deodorants, antiperspirants, affect odor as well as prevent sweating by affecting sweat glands. Antiperspirants are typically applied to the underarms, while deodorants may also be used on feet and other areas in the form of body sprays. In the United States, deodorants are classified and regulated as cosmetics by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Antiperspirants are classified as drugs by the FDA.


Hmm...interesting...never knew all that.  Especially the part about how differently these two products are classified......

I've read a lot about the toxic aluminum compounds that are in anti-perspirants.  I've also read a few articles that suggest not using anti-perpirants because they block or "stop up" your sweat glands in your arm pits, which is one way your body rids itself of toxins, (the others being, by urination or bowel movements).  Some go as far as saying that this might be a cause for breast cancer (starts in the armpit lymph nodes - toxins can't get out of body so they sit there and make your cells mutate).  

I personally just wanted to see if I could find something that kept me smelling good and was less toxic than the typical commerical brands on the shelves in the grocery store.  

I had asked around (family, friends, coworkers) to see if they had tried any deodorants/antiperspirants along these lines.....yes, some had (tried the crystal deodorant, Tom's of Maine, a few other brands I've never heard of) but none had found much success or were happy with the results. 

Well, darn it.  This means we will just have to go by trial and error.  I decided to start with a website(www.healing-scents.com)  I had ordered castille shampoo from.  Even though the shampoo didn't work out for me, I thought I'd see what else they had to offer.....

I found a pretty non-toxic deodorant on their site and its worked very well for me.  Its homemade by a lady in Illinois and she makes several other products from essential oils and other natural, organic ingredients.  I've tried the solid deodorant, the roll-on and the deodorant powder.  I found I liked the solid deodorant the best.  I did find that my armpits did get wet while using it if I was doing alot of strenuous or stressful activites, but I never started smelling bad (have to remember this is not an antiperspirant).  My armpits just got wet.  And to be honest, they dont stay wet for long, so it really hasn't been a big deal for me.  I've kind of gotten used to it.  I also have tried their deodorant powder (a light dusting ) over the solid deodorant and that has seemed to help some with the wetness.  

My husband tried the solid deodorant it and he liked the smell (very "herby" smelling) and it worked ok but it got stuck in his armpit hairs.....not too bueno.  He tried the roll-on but it didn't have much lasting power.  (It doesn't seem to last long on me either) So still looking for another alternative for my hubby there.


For deodorants and anti-perspirants - there may not be a perfect organic/natural alternative out there that works just like the commercial brands.  This kind of change really is a personal choice because everyone is so different.  Some people sweat constantly and constant wetness may not be an option for you.  Very understandable.  I personally don't sweat a whole lot - never have.  So, for me, a little wetness here and there under my arms, is not a deal-breaker.  but it may be for you.  However, you can bet that I will keep a bar of commercial Secret antiperspirant/deodorant on standby in case of the situation where there's no room for "error" - (think job interviews or some other socially uncomfortable event).  I'll definitely be bringing out the Secret for those occasions. 


HOWEVER, I am still searching for that "perfect" natural alternative - so I will be sure to let you all know when I find it!  And if you find it before me - please share your discovery  !!  :))))))))

No comments:

Post a Comment